We know that capsules, tablets, granules, etc. are several carriers for drug molding. Tablets are tablet-like preparations that are uniformly mixed with drugs and excipients. Compared to empty capsules, it has:
1. Accurate measurement: The difference in drug content in the tablet is small, the measurement is accurate, and the quality is stable.
It is convenient to carry, transport, and take: the appearance of the tablet is complete and smooth, with uniform color and luster; it has suitable hardness and can be taken smoothly.
2. The drug can be released by positioning: it can be made into tablets that control the dissolution rate of the drug through suitable formulation technology. For example: in order to meet the needs of local vaginal medication, vaginal tablets can be made; drugs for the treatment of oral ulcers can be made into patches and attached to the mucosa of the ulcers, and some drugs can also be made into effervescence as needed. But capsules also have functions that tablets cannot replace, such as:
1. It can avoid drugs to stimulate the stomach: the tablet is absorbed in the stomach, and the capsule uses the characteristics of the human body because the human stomach does not contain amylase, and the capsule shell is starch. After taking it from the oral cavity, the shell in the stomach will not be destroyed, and it can directly reach the small intestine, where it is decomposed under the action of intestinal amylase, and the powder is exposed so that the medicine can be absorbed in the small intestine. This can prevent the drug from irritating the stomach and prevent adverse reactions such as vomiting and loss of appetite.
2. Can improve drug stability: If some drugs are sensitive to light and unstable when exposed to heat, they can be put into capsules. Some drugs do not need to be dissolved in the stomach but must be dissolved in the intestine, so enteric-coated capsules are made to ensure that.
3. Good absorption: the efficacy of the drug is fully dissolved, and the bioavailability of the drug is high. Because the drug preparation of the capsule does not add adhesives and pressure, the disintegration in the gastrointestinal tract is faster than that of the tablet, and the absorption is better.
4. Cover up bad odor: The capsule is neat and beautiful, covering up the bad odor and odor of some medicines, eliminating the unpleasant experience of the patient when taking it.
5. It can make up for the deficiencies of other solid dosage forms: drugs with high oil content or liquid drugs are difficult to be made into pills and tablets, but they can be made into soft capsules.